• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

ZTR brand debate

harvickfan

LawnSite Member
Ok so Im going to buy a new zero turn and are stuck between the two I have narrowed it down to. I am going to buy a Scag tiger cub with a 48 cut and a 26 briggs, or a Ferris 48 cut with a 21 Kaw. I am curious to know any problems or dislikes/likes of the two. I have done some research but have always found out that the users always know best. Your help is Greatly appreciated Thanks

johnnybravo8802

LawnSite Silver Member
I had a lot of problems out of Ferris so I'm not a fan. I run only Scag now and am happy with them. I have a friend who bought a Tiger Cat and loves it-He bought upon my recommendations. However, I think dealer support and close proximity are the most important. I opted to not buy a Hustler because of the 1 hr. drive to the dealer-That adds up after a while. On the flipside, I have a Toro/Grasshopper dealer 5 minutes from me that I wouldn't buy anything from-They burned me in 98' and I refused to buy from them again-They lost about $100,000 over the years from it.

lawnpro724

LawnSite Silver Member
Toro Z500 mowers have been great mowers for us. We have been using Toro commercial mowers since 1990. I will take Toro over Scag any day when it comes down to quality of cut.
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
H

harvickfan

LawnSite Member
The scag dealer and the ferris dealer are the same distance. The dealers both seem great but The big question is how they will treat me after the sale. Im only interested in the ferris because of the suspension. I can also get it a little cheaper. 6199. versus 6250.

KPW LawnCare

LawnSite Senior Member
I would go with the scag but would not buy the briggs.

SchnabelLawnCare

LawnSite Senior Member
The scag dealer and the ferris dealer are the same distance. The dealers both seem great but The big question is how they will treat me after the sale. Im only interested in the ferris because of the suspension. I can also get it a little cheaper. 6199. versus 6250.
Whatever you do, don't make the decision over $51!!!

dishboy

LawnSite Fanatic
I had a lot of problems out of Ferris so I'm not a fan. I run only Scag now and am happy with them. I have a friend who bought a Tiger Cat and loves it-He bought upon my recommendations. However, I think dealer support and close proximity are the most important. I opted to not buy a Hustler because of the 1 hr. drive to the dealer-That adds up after a while. On the flipside, I have a Toro/Grasshopper dealer 5 minutes from me that I wouldn't buy anything from-They burned me in 98' and I refused to buy from them again-They lost about $100,000 over the years from it.

What issues did the Ferris have?

gtmorgan89

LawnSite Senior Member
I know that ferris walk behinds have Eaton hydro pumps/ wheel motors. IMHO Eaton has a terrible design. The hydro pump, and wheel motor is mounted directly to the frame, by 4 bolts. They are weak, and the bolts will break off in the pumps. Also there is no hydro oil filter. . . What the deal with that? Hydro gear pumps sit on top of the frame, and have filters

johnnybravo8802

LawnSite Silver Member
What issues did the Ferris have?
I could write a book on that. I had the IS4000 with a 72" deck and a B@S Daihatsu(01'). I had it in the shop 10 times in 2 months and sold it back to the factory with 83 hrs. on it. The flywheel completely came off the engine as the last straw and locked it down-You name it, it was happening!!! The biggest problem was lack of factory support-They just did not care that I was stuck with a lemon. I had a lot of problems with my first Hustler but great factory support and that's what makes Hustler a better company.

MONTE

LawnSite Senior Member
Where in MO are you? Also which dealer is going to treat you right after the sale? Are these the only brands available?