• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

ZTR Fertilizer Applicator Question

Clark Landscaping

LawnSite Member
I searched past posts but didn't quite get the answer so...I am interested in looking at fertilizing with my ZTR mower. Is the spreader connected to ground speed at all or do you just try to go a constant speed? And...how does lime go through a JRCO or Spyker spreader? Really you should have a drop spreader for lime is there a drop spreader attachment for a ZTR Mower? Thanks for your help.

cemars

LawnSite Senior Member
You try and go a constant speed. The only unit I know of that regulates material based on ground speed is the $12,000 Gregson-Clark Highlander. Regardless, lime will go through a JRCO or Spyker broadcast, better than a drop unless you are using pulverized. Pellitized is the only way to go.

OP
C

Clark Landscaping

LawnSite Member
Good idea on the bike speedo, electronic or cable style? Electronic with magnetic pickup would probably work well as long as the programming will support wheel size. Do you guys upsell fert program with lawn care or specialize?

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
My bike speedometer worked fine on my push spreader. Never got over 4.5 mph, of course. I had to glue the magnet to the rubber tire. Silicone sealer. The magnetic pickup and wire had to go on the frame so it would be within a half-inch of the rotating wheel magnet. It would probably work best to glue the magnet to a rear steel wheel, if possible. Don't worry if it falls off and you lose it. Get a new one--any magnet will work. Trial and error--line up the north and south poles.
Yes, they all have an option to adjust the wheel size to suit your equipment.
The odometer/trip meter can also be used to measure the number of sqft you covered. Suppose you covered a tenth of a mile (528 feet) and applied in a 10 foot swath pass. That is 5280 sqft.
Make a little chart and glue it to the spreader hopper. Show the number of sqft for each tenth of a mile. And the same for each hundredth of a mile (528 sqft).

In the speedometer, by trial and error, you can adjust the wheel size up or down to accommodate your swath pass and get the numbers to come out more even.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Actually a hundredth of a mile is 52.8 feet. Sorry.
And, if I am right, at 10 feet wide swath: 1000 sqft would be 0.189 of a mile. 2000 sqft about .38 mile.