1. Trouble Finding PPE, Sanitizer, and Cleaning Supplies?

How can you get what you need for the safety of your crews? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

ZTR front ends, Rigid or pivoting?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ddg, Jun 7, 2000.

1. ddg

ddg LawnSite Member

Looking at Scag Turf tiger, Encore Prowler & a few others. Some have rigid frames, others have Pivoting front axles. Any real advantages to one design over the other? My mowing is large residential, some is a lawn, the rest is "yard". About 3 1/2 acres or so. I have some irregular surfaces & a ditch. I can see a little good with both designs, but nobody can give me a good answer, so posting here.....DDG

2. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

hey there-<br>had same concerns when I bought my Bobcat (textron) ZTR this spring; I'd searched & tested about all the ZTR's in my area so I knew what all was out there.<br>Your answer has some bearing determined by what your &quot;route&quot; consists of.<br>Definitely STAY AWAY from encore; they are worse than MTD. They will not hold up long enough for you to get your $$'s worth out of them before they fall apart. <br>Pivoting axles will help a bit with ride comfort, but they lack ability to hold across a hilldise like straight axles do. I guess it depends on which is more important to you-hill ability or some increase in comfort. Demo both before you decide<p><br><p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>

3. rebel2002

rebel2002 LawnSite Member

Oh yardsmith is full of it... Encore is alot better than MTD.. I have had mine for 3 years! and still love it!... Get a rigid frontend..pivots.dont do ditches rthat good...won't hold hills.. &and when circling a tree you will leave a nice ring..NOT GOOD. i like encore but would buy exmark,walker,or dc now because of my ize production

4. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

No I'm not full of it.<br>I tested an encore 2 years ago & it was slow, wouldn't cut worth a #$&@ as far as a nice finish, & sat up so high I thought I was going to fall out of the perch on a 5 degree incline. Now that MTD's are about the same as Lesco, I'd pick it over Encore any day. But I didn't pick either, as I chose a bobcat 61&quot; to keep me productive & on schedule.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>