ZTR Noise Level

JLH52

LawnSite Senior Member
Feedback from experienced operators : From your experience of owning and operating different brand large commercial ZTR's, have you experienced any noticeable difference in noise volume among brands. Which brand is quieter verses which is loudest?

I only have experience operating a 60 in.Hustler Super Z with Koehler 28 hp. EFI. and a 72 in. Hustler Super Z Hyperdrive with 37 hp. Vangard EFI. I consider both very loud the 37 hp. Vangard seems to produce a deep roar. I assume it the turbulence produced by the volume of air circulation under the deck and the power of the motor.

Is it the deck width, deck design, horsepower, brand of motor, or exactly why different mowers vary in sound level produced at WOT during operation?

After a few hours on the Super Z Hyperdrive with 37 hp. Vangard the volume of noise causes my head to roar during work and many hours afterward. BTW, I am using ear protection.

Thanks for your feedback.

AlohaMowing

LawnSite Senior Member
I find the noise level on my Turf Tiger II with the 31hp Kawisaki to be slightly less than my Turf Tiger with 27hp Kohler, but still would not want to operate it for more than a few minutes without ear plugs plus shooters earmuffs.

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
I have never worn ear protection. I wish you guys would type louder... I don't think I have any hearing loss, but I also grew up in the 70's loud rock time too. I like the sound of the z in the morning, sounds like victory.

douglee25

LawnSite Senior Member
I have never worn ear protection. I wish you guys would type louder... I don't think I have any hearing loss, but I also grew up in the 70's loud rock time too. I like the sound of the z in the morning, sounds like victory.
Ever get your hearing tested? Curious how much damage you have if you haven't worn anything in all these years.

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
Nope, not in a long time. I hear things in the mower if something is not right, I can hear things pretty good. Pushing ever so close to 60 so I don't think it's too bad.

Mowing monkey.

LawnSite Bronze Member
On my liquid cooled diesel the deck is a lot louder than the engine. I had a set of blades that were worse than average and made a high pitched scream.