1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

ZTR or Walkbehind???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnshark, Dec 23, 2001.

1. Lawnshark

Lawnshark LawnSite Member

We just sold our Yazoo 3-wheel. We have 36 residential and 4 commercial accounts. We have a 52" Woods ZTR and I don't know whether to get a walkbehind or another ZTR. I have been told the importance and the versatility of a walkbehind but I would also love to have the extra cutting of a bigger deck. I am really torn between the two. Please help with your experience.
    Thanks,
    Lawnshark :confused:

2. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

If $$$ is an important factor then consider a WB- belt driven ones are cheaper, break down less and and are simple for most crew members to run.

Another Z would give you exact back up redundancy. Not a small concern when you've got large important accounts. Then there is the aftermarket/spare parts consideration. Getting another Z help you in buying bulk on these items.

At 5 AM this is all the items I could think to post. Need more coffee.

Cordially,
    Sheppard

3. If you can take a ZTR everywere and anywere go for it.

If not then I suggest a Hydro WB.

You will notice an increace in production over the Yazoo with either one.

4. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Another choice may be a stander. There are three now with the new John Deeres.

The new JD looks a lot like a Wright Stander - which was designed by Dane Scag (I believe) - only with fenders and a 7 iron deck,which floats.

They are cheaper than a ' Z' , take up little trailer space, and looks like it would be a lot better for hills. ;)

5. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

on my accounts, i can take the ztr anywhere a walkbehind will go. i think you should just go for the ztr. youll be more productive.

6. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Alta
    Where did u see these new John Deere ZTR's??? I've been waiting to see the new Deere/Dane mowers for over a year now. If you know of a website i could see the new ZTR's post them, cause i dont think they r on the Deere website yet???
    Thanks
    Matt

7. mdb landscaping

they have a picture of one in the new issue of landscape and irrigation. dont know if you have that magazine, but they have a pic and a paragraph about it.

8. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

I dont have that magazine, but do they have a website that maybe they would have a picture of it?? Otherwise i guess ill find it sooner or later on here or somewhere
    Thanks,
    Matt

9. mdb landscaping

they give an 800 number if you want information on the product.

call 1-800-537-8233 and maybe they can mail you some info.

10. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Matt,
    I stopped by the JD dealer, and he made a copy of a dealer memo with pics and brief description. I'll try to scan it in and link it.
    Just picture a Wright stander, with fenders, and a 7-iron deck held by chains. The rear tires are behind the user,(just like a Wright Stander) and the front casters bolt on (just like a Stander).
    It has Kawasakis (I think 20-23hp, but not sure) and 48" to 60" cut - it doesn't look anything like a Dane super surfer really.
    It's due in at dealers in March of '02, so the real literature should be out in January or Feburary. :cool: