ZTR pump bad---TECH TIP

fixer67

LawnSite Silver Member
So you think the pump on one side of your ZTR may be bad, well maybe and maybe not. I have seen this more than a few times over the years and just seen it again today. It does not matter the make or model of your ZTR mower as this covers a wide range of makes and models. Before you go buying a new pump there is one thing you need to rule out first or you could end of with some very expensive egg on your face. It is something that is very easy over looked and I have seen it happen first hand. When a ZTR starts pulling to one side or is hard to turn to one side it seems every one blames the pump and it is not always the case. Check the front yokes and caster wheels. I have even went to the point of switching the whole yoke assembly form left to right just to have the problem jump to the other side proving the pump was not at fault. You may not go that far but just remember to check those yokes and casters wheels or you may be sorry. And to make matters worse they some times they need weight on them to show they are bad.

piston slapper

LawnSite Platinum Member
Not quite sure what the casters have to do with the hydros....
If they are tight or not turning...they tear up the grass....hardly a hydropump issue...
Most ztr's have tracking adjustments....which are ONLY done after verifying the tire pressures. Which is incedentally the major cause of drift or bad tracking...

piston slapper

LawnSite Platinum Member
As long as we're giving Tech Tips ......

ZTR's are set up just like race cars....diagonally adjusted...
If one of your front casters is wobbling and the other one is fine...
Add air to the left rear tire to get the right front to stop wobbling...vice-versa for left front.
By adding air to the left rear , you shift more weight to the right front and it stops shaking.

Also ...to compensate for a slower hydro ....you can add air to the rear tire , which increases the circumference , adding an inch or more per revolution....speeding it up.

OP
F

fixer67

LawnSite Silver Member
Piston Slapper, most people do not see the conection and that is why it is over looked. I have seen a pump replaced only to not solve the problem and then have to go back and replace either yoke or wheel bearings or both. I have seen this some much over the years I now check the yokes and wheels when I check the air pressure before even touching the steering trim adjustments.

As for the air pressure in the tires bit, I will remember that and try it.

Last edited:

piston slapper

LawnSite Platinum Member
Fixer....didn't mean to sidetrack your thread......
You're correct....when it comes to hydros....most people are idiots.
The replacement parts are so expensive that they will try anything from Prozac to Mechanic in a .Bottle. I have seen tons of money wasted on quik fixes and pure pipe dreams....You have to go through the motions ....and eliminate everything else.

The air pressure tricks work....got more than a few off my bench that way.
Posted via Mobile Device