Lawn Care Forum banner

ZTR vs. a big honk'in w/b

3K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  REALSLOW 
#1 ·
We are getting a new larger mower for 2007. I already ordered a Exmark Lazer HP w/a 50" deck and yes we changed our minds from a 23 Kawi and got the Kholer 27hp. My dealer said I will have a little "pocket rocket" with tons of power, ya ya ya, I asked him well how much for the 60 TT thats an 04 left over with no hours on it, he said I think, 5800.00 vs. the ZTR at 8200.00 But my question is how much time am I going to save with this rider (50") vs. this TT (60"). I only demoed one rider and that was this past season and to be completley honest, I was too nervous to really take note of how much time I saved. He tells me I will save at least half the time. Thanks for helping out a :confused: lawn care brother, lol.

#2 ·
nobagger said:
We are getting a new larger mower for 2007. I already ordered a Exmark Lazer HP w/a 50" deck and yes we changed our minds from a 23 Kawi and got the Kholer 27hp. My dealer said I will have a little "pocket rocket" with tons of power, ya ya ya, I asked him well how much for the 60 TT thats an 04 left over with no hours on it, he said I think, 5800.00 vs. the ZTR at 8200.00 But my question is how much time am I going to save with this rider (50") vs. this TT (60"). I only demoed one rider and that was this past season and to be completley honest, I was too nervous to really take note of how much time I saved. He tells me I will save at least half the time. Thanks for helping out a :confused: lawn care brother, lol.
I don't know how much time you save, but I would buy a 60" ZTR, that is the way to go IMO..

How much agrivation would it save you? If I were you, ALOT.. I hate w/b's and I would probably drive it into a river somewhere and report it stolen to the insurance within 3 weeks of use if it were my primary mower...

my $.02

#3 ·
With the TT being 10" wider (per pass), the 50" rider won't save you ANY more time. The TT has a ground speed that is every bit as fast as what you mow with, anyway. Put a 2 wheeled solid mount pivoting sulky on, and you are gonnne. Not only that, but as crazy as it sounds, the wb turns around faster (with one stroke) than the rider does a 3 or 5 point turn.

#4 ·
Runner said:
With the TT being 10" wider (per pass), the 50" rider won't save you ANY more time. The TT has a ground speed that is every bit as fast as what you mow with, anyway. Put a 2 wheeled solid mount pivoting sulky on, and you are gonnne. Not only that, but as crazy as it sounds, the wb turns around faster (with one stroke) than the rider does a 3 or 5 point turn.
He's probably right, but I hate w/b's so bad..

#7 ·
Both are useful.... the question is...do you like to SIT or STAND all day???:rolleyes:

I have both and I try to use the ZTR every chance I get!

#8 ·
After running both a 52" hydro wb, and a 52" rider, I was more pleased with the wb than the rider. The rider did not seem to be any faster. I have been doing just fine with the wb.

#9 ·
I have the opposite set-up that are describing- I have a 60" Lazer and a 48" TTHP. I can tell you that the TTHP is a great machine but the Lazer is hands down the faster, more maneuverable, and more enjoyable machine to use. Not to mention FASTER!!! It not only cuts down on time but you will also feel a lot better at the end of the day. Your hands will not be anywhere near tired. The only thing that a walkbehind does better than a rider, in my opinion, is that it holds better on hills.

#10 ·
If I weren't such a lazy butt, I would have another 60+ inch walkbehind. They save alot of money over a rider and usually the deck is the same deck so the cut should be the same. Riding on a sulky makes it not too bad and you get a smoother ride standing than being bounced around to death on your butt sitting on a rider.

One of my hang up's is I like to do alot of reverse cutting - to mulch leaves, or to use the mower as a blower to help blow leaves or grass clippings. A walkbehind just doesn't do the job in that area, but otherwise, a walkbehind with a velkie or sulkie will be the job just as fast.

I may just keep my eyes open for a good deal on a used 61 inch walkbehind over the winter to use some next year. I see alot of reasons it would be good for me....

One other thing bad about riders, is on hot summer days sitting on that hot seat, your butt sweats and your other area does too, and there is no fresh air to keep you cool or dry, you end up with rashes and foul odors..... I haven't seen it discussed here since I have been on Lawnsite, but I bet alot of people know just what I am talking about!

#11 ·
To me it really depends on what kind of cutting you do. I believe in both. The walk behinds are better for a high end cut, I do not like a ZTR in alot of high end cutting situations they tear the grass to much, WAY TO MUCH. I can take a good midsize with a velkie and can out cut a ZTR on small to medium lawns and do a much better job.

On large properties my super Z 60 will hand a WB it's A$$ bad I MEAN KILL IT SMOKE!!!!!!!!!! it SEE YOU later Stomp. It will mow almost twice as much grass and much more comfortable!

#12 ·
Realslow is right, it all depends on what size properties you are cutting, both have their place. I run a Super Z 60" and a Exmark TT 60" and have for the last couple of years, but on large wide open spaces the ZTR is going to win everytime, but you take the average size lawn around here is 1/4 to 1/2 acre with trees, swingsets ETC., to mow around and I can mow those yards faster with a walkbehind. I do alot of bigger yards, which is nice with a ZTR, but I also do quite a few smaller yards and yards with some hills on them, which makes having the walkbehind nice. The TT's are great mowers, best walkbehind I have ever used hands down, I've owned 2 TT 60"s sold one to a brother in law back in the spring, had 1400 hrs on it and never missed a beat.

#13 ·
Well one of the reasons for a rider is, I'm not getting any younger,lol and standing on a Velkie really takes a toll on my right knee for some reason, second and if you guys would humor me, The majority of my lawns are 1/2 acre and honestly, I was hoping to use this thing in my condo's. I can fit a 46-50 deck in the top half where as before I thought only a 36" would fit. But after doing their clean up I realized a 50" deck would easily fit. BUT... I dont want to tare up their lawn, the lower half is all 21" work:cry: So all in all I was looking to shave some time off my route by buying a rider, one other major reason for a rider is it's bagging capacity. With this Trac Vac system we are looking to get with it holds 4 times more than a side bagger and to me that would cut my time down quite a bit. Any thoughts are appreciated.

#14 ·
If it were me I would go with the big TT, here 1/2 acre lots are considered small yards, and if your doing alot of turning on these small yards with a ZTR your defintely going to get some turf damage. I also was feeling some pain in my knees and I switched to a Proslide sulky and it is much smoother than a wheeled velke, my knee hasn't bothered me since I started using it, makes the lawns stripe awesome also. I believe they make a Trac Vac system for these walkbehind too.

#15 ·
if you have flat yards in the half acre range. I use my 60" ZTR on them all day long. if they are hilly and cluttered, it may not help too much, but I would imagine the same would apply to the large WB.

you may want to investigate a stander. I greatly prefer them to WB. much less knee stress and very manueverable.

But I am very biased against WB mowers. Don't even own one anymore, although I do realize they have uses, I just don't have any properties that make it worth having one.

#16 ·
Look at putting bigger wheels on the tt so it will mow faster and pull a velkie better. I run my WB with 20 and 22 inch wheels and Lesco fixed velkies, it is the best setup I know of for speed,comfort and pulling ability!

Have you ever considered a Z2 Lesco? If not get a free consultation from Envy.

#17 ·
Yes I looked into Lesco, the dealer around here has had the same mower on their showroom floor and for the past 3 years he proclaims its a brand new machine. Its not priced too bad at around 6800.00 and the triple bagger is 1400.00. They were real "wishy/washy" when I asked him questions about getting it serviced. I asked him about a loaner if and when mine went down and he was tounge tied so I steered away.

#18 ·
nobagger said:
Yes I looked into Lesco, the dealer around here has had the same mower on their showroom floor and for the past 3 years he proclaims its a brand new machine. Its not priced too bad at around 6800.00 and the triple bagger is 1400.00. They were real "wishy/washy" when I asked him questions about getting it serviced. I asked him about a loaner if and when mine went down and he was tounge tied so I steered away.
You are mistaken, a fertlizer sales shop is just as qualified as any reputable mower dealer for service and repair. Just ask Envy, he claims all their products are just as good as any products available with no price objectivity in mind as well. Just because if you need service on your machine they may have to load it on a ship and send it to China for repairs is no reason to steer clear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.