ZTR VS STANDER Which is more efficient

Mac-s Lawn & Snow

LawnSite Bronze Member
Doesn't matter if you don't have the same mower as me then it suks
Couldn't leave it that just because I already know its going to be a bad day. My OPINION is the tha stander is more efficiant. It goes where a ztr cant. The worst stander is going to be as good as any ztr on hills. If you going to be on a mower for more than a hour at a time, a ztr would be a good choice and employees would probably rather sit than stand.

OP
Hurryupelectric

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Silver Member
I’ll add that I carried this discussion over from the “if you could only have one mower” thread. I really want to see it hashed out but without derailing that thread. Because, it seems to me it’s either a walk behind or ride on regardless of stander or sit down as the threads main purpose. Either the operators weight is on the machine or not.

OP
Hurryupelectric

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Silver Member
Ya know it may boil down to my first post. One thing the both of us have in common is we do things our own way and there are plenty of people here that their way of doing things will be the only way.
Very true, just seems like a good opportunity to stir the pot some over what people feel is most efficient. It was just mentioned in the other post that standers cause less turf damage because of better weight distribution, I didn’t realize that and I’m betting someone will likely have a rebuttal there. If so then that’s a vote for stander being faster assuming the operator gives a darn and mows slower to avoid ripping.

fatboynormmie

LawnSite Bronze Member
I’m just as efficient on both. But my preference is the stander for anything under 2 acres. I just like standing better while on smaller properties as I’m always popping on and off the mower . On the bigger stuff I like the Z’s with an air ride seat. They are less fatiguing to operate. IMO !

For me doing the larger stuff with the stander is doable but I find the holding on the the mower while operating the control’s fatigues me out faster. The standing part doesn’t bother me . It’s the arms numbing out. On the ZTR I don’t numb out like that.

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
My dealer dislikes standers. He says that "Standers have the weaknesses of sit down and a walk behind with the strengths of neither."

Have not owned a sit down z so cannot comment on that other than I prefer my legs take the shocks vs my back. Standers are easier to bail off than a z.

As far as rutting, tearing, etc. I would guess, and it is only a guess, is that they would be somewhat the same. A lot of that will depend on operator error.

I have a Vantage and Turf Tracers. The walk behinds do a lot less turf damage but I'm not so sure that most of that is operator error.........which is on me. The Vantage goes faster and I think I try to slow down too quickly on turns, etc and slide more. The ECS is very easy to feather.

On soft lawns I only run the walk behinds.

Some say standers are better on hills, some say z's are. Perhaps it depends on brands.

Top Forums