ZTR VS STANDER Which is more efficient

Mac-s Lawn & Snow

LawnSite Bronze Member
Couldn't leave it that just because I already know its going to be a bad day. My OPINION is the tha stander is more efficiant. It goes where a ztr cant. The worst stander is going to be as good as any ztr on hills. If you going to be on a mower for more than a hour at a time, a ztr would be a good choice and employees would probably rather sit than stand.
I'm gonna lay down some Lawnsite fodder and try to get back ontrack here. Since I made this post I have been schooled on my statement about the worst stander vs a ZTR on hills. Last year I had an account with a hill that required my 36 WB to be dragged out of the trailer to get it cut. The house sold and a other LCO is now cutting it. I do the lawn next door and watched them cut that hill with a ZTR. Ther's no way I'd take my stander on it but then again I run what is going to be known as the worst stander ever made.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
I'm gonna lay down some Lawnsite fodder and try to get back ontrack here. Since I made this post I have been schooled on my statement about the worst stander vs a ZTR on hills. Last year I had an account with a hill that required my 36 WB to be dragged out of the trailer to get it cut. The house sold and a other LCO is now cutting it. I do the lawn next door and watched them cut that hill with a ZTR. Ther's no way I'd take my stander on it but then again I run what is going to be known as the worst stander ever made.
I run this hill with my TC2. If it wasn't already rutted before I started mowing it, it would probably be less sketchy. It's the worst one I do.
20210907_181239.jpg

OP
Hurryupelectric

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Silver Member
Can't imagine it's would pass a DOT inspection is all I'm saying. Not sure I'd say there's really an "issue" other than I just don't like it lol! First time he forgets to put a strap on it, and it's off and under a trailer tire, or in traffic for that matter. Stuff happens.
I totally agree that human error could turn disastrous. In practice though the wheels snuggly fit on the sides of the shelf and hang down providing some additional security. I’m not dismissing the possibility of me forgetting to tighten the strap, not know I’m dragging the strap that always stays on the trailer eye, and hitting a big pothole all during one of the few trips I take above 45mph after one of the few times I even use the thing. There’s a touch of sarcasm, but I’m not for a second arguing that human error doesn’t happen all the time.

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
Can't imagine it's would pass a DOT inspection is all I'm saying. Not sure I'd say there's really an "issue" other than I just don't like it lol! First time he forgets to put a strap on it, and it's off and under a trailer tire, or in traffic for that matter. Stuff happens.
You raise an interesting question regarding the DOT.

Regarding putting a strap on. Your logic could also be applied to flat bed trailers.... forget to strap and things are rolling off as well... yet they are legal.

Derwood

LawnSite Silver Member
Hey listen - I reread my statement and then H's response. I can see where it would sound offensive, and I can sense the "edge" in some of the responses, too. I don't like that set up, in the same way I don't like lite beer.... I'm just not going to partake in it. The darker and thicker, the better! There was no offense intended and I apologize for lighting any fuses. That was a poorly put together post by me.

With that being said, I have a hard time comparing that to flatbed trucks and tool boxes. You can actually "buy" tool boxes for your trailer - totally intended to be used in that exact manner. Can you buy a "mower platform" for your trailer? I don't see any 18 wheelers hauling stuff with homemade platforms bolted to the front of their beds. Comparing it to flatbeds is a stretch in my opinion. I just don't believe there's anyway it would pass inspection. Perhaps that's a little "nanny-like" on my part? Hey - pull up to your local PD and see what they say. I could be totally wrong - it's happened before!!!

Human error is part of everyday life. I think one always wants to be cognizant of that.... but not to the point where you "worry" all the time. That's silly. When I said that above about it falling off, I'm thinking of the time DERWOOD has forgotten to pull the brake on his Cheetah and it rolled back and slammed into the gate. I know I avoided something catastrophic there and I don't make that mistake anymore. There's no "back up" for human error with that set up. "Make-shift" was the wrong verbiage. Someone said "fabrication" and that's what I should have written.

Again. My apologies....

Last edited:

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
. When I said that above about it falling off, I'm thinking of the time DERWOOD has forgotten to pull the brake on his Cheetah and it rolled back and slammed into the gate. There's no "back up" for human error with that set up. "Make-shift" was the wrong verbiage. Someone said "fabrication" and that's what I should have written.

Again. My apologies....
I hae a 2x4 tire stop on my trailer that I park in front of. Then strap my mower at the front, pulling back into 2x4. One day heading home on a 55mph highway, I couldn't figure out why the trailer was swaying so bad. I eased on the trailer brake to straighten it out, and immediately started swaying again. Gor pulled over, and the mower was against the gate. My clip on the strap cam off the ring on my extract. Strap looped over the front frame still. I might not have got the tires down in front of the board completely. Who knows. But I always strap down no matter what since, even going a couple blocks.

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
Hey listen - I reread my statement and then H's response. I can see where it would sound offensive, and I can sense the "edge" in some of the responses, too. I don't like that set up, in the same way I don't like lite beer.... I'm just not going to partake in it. The darker and thicker, the better! There was no offense intended and I apologize for lighting any fuses. That was a poorly put together post by me.

With that being said, I have a hard time comparing that to flatbed trucks and tool boxes. You can actually "buy" tool boxes for your trailer - totally intended to be used in that exact manner. Can you buy a "mower platform" for your trailer? I don't see any 18 wheelers hauling stuff with homemade platforms bolted to the front of their beds. Comparing it to flatbeds is a stretch in my opinion. I just don't believe there's anyway it would pass inspection. Perhaps that's a little "nanny-like" on my part? Hey - pull up to your local PD and see what they say. I could be totally wrong - it's happened before!!!

Human error is part of everyday life. I think one always wants to be cognizant of that.... but not to the point where you "worry" all the time. That's silly. When I said that above about it falling off, I'm thinking of the time DERWOOD has forgotten to pull the brake on his Cheetah and it rolled back and slammed into the gate. There's no "back up" for human error with that set up. "Make-shift" was the wrong verbiage. Someone said "fabrication" and that's what I should have written.

Again. My apologies....
No need to apologize brother. I was just enjoying a little friendly Tues morning back and forth. Discussion is good, thats how we learn. Hope your morning goes well sir

OP
Hurryupelectric

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Silver Member
I hae a 2x4 tire stop on my trailer that I park in front of. Then strap my mower at the front, pulling back into 2x4. One day heading home on a 55mph highway, I couldn't figure out why the trailer was swaying so bad. I eased on the trailer brake to straighten it out, and immediately started swaying again. Gor pulled over, and the mower was against the gate. My clip on the strap cam off the ring on my extract. Strap looped over the front frame still. I might not have got the tires down in front of the board completely. Who knows. But I always strap down no matter what since, even going a couple blocks.
Very valid points and makes me aware that my rig can be improved. Conversations with me can borderline on being sharp as long as they’re not attacks. I found this morning’s content helpful and in a good productive spirit, just like between me and crazy the other day.

Top Forums