Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at buying a Zero turn for awhile now and have finally decided to take the plunge. I mow 4 1/2 acres weekly on a 48" tractor right now. It takes 4 hrs according to the hour meter. I am sure the ztr will reduce this significantly. I think I have narrowed it down to 3 choices all have dealers in the local area. I would like to know which will be my best bang for the bucks.

48" Exmark quest. w/ 22HP B&S ELS $3999.00

48" Hustler fastrak w/ 19HP kawasaki $4500.00 23hrs

48" Scag Freedom Z w/ 26HP B&S ELS $4199.00

Thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Do you have alot of hills or slopes?? Have you thought about a used commercial unit. The season is getting shorter. Guys who couldnt cut it in lawn care(pun intened), are looking to unload low hr machines.

I think id shy away from the fastrak. 19 hp seems a little low..
Will any of the dealers let you demo?? :usflag:

·
Registered
677 Posts
Dixie chopper no mention???
Okay, I'll mention them.

A DC LT2500-50 would fit the bill, but not your budget (haven't priced one lately, but probably more like mid $5k to $6k). Although, keep in mind it has some significant differences (more HP, dual path hydros not IZT) vs the other machines you mention that make it more of true commercial machine. For a homeowner, I don't think you can beat it.

I have the bigger bro to it, the LT2700-60D. My only complaint is I run out of grass to cut too soon!

When I first got mine back in June '07(?), my grass had not been cut for probably 3 weeks (read at least 12" tall in places). The DC was an absolute beast in that tall, wet grass. After I let dry, I hit it again a couple more times, and was left with very little I had to rake up.

Before I got mine, I had heard/read all the complaints and negative comments about DCs from a few different forums, and was initially not going to even entertain a second look at them. But fortunately for me, I not only looked again, but demoed and bought one. The truth prevailed.

In hindsight, I now believe most of these derogatory statements about DCs to be either extremely out-dated experiences, or out-and-out lies. In fact, when I posed just such a question (Due to every company's commitment to continuing improvement in product development, when does one's experience with a particular make/model no longer hold any vaildity?), I received no answers.

For me, the DC was easily the most bang for the buck. I had looked at most other makes' small frame, full hydro not IZT, 60", min 23hp, and had pretty much narrowed it down to a Scag Tiger Cub (yes, they do, or at least did, actually make a 23hp 60" Cub - a model my local dealer actually didn't know was offered), and the LT2700-60D. The Scag was $1500 more, had at least a two week leadtime, and was not, despite the manufacturer feeling otherwise, considered by the dealer to be a good combination (they tried to sell me a 48" floor model instead). The DC dealer had probably two of each LT, and I lost count all the Coatesvilles, in stock. Okay, let me get this straight: more HP for less money, and it's in stock. Hello! This is a no-brainer. I checked one out a Saturday, demoed on the dealer's lot and bought one on the following Thursday, mowing my lawn by 1:30 Friday afternoon, and grinning from ear-to-ear by 1:31. Come to think of it, I'm still grinning every time I mow the lawn.

Check one out for yourself. If you like it and the dealer, buy it; if you don't, go someplace else.

Looking at Dixie's web site, I see they now offer a homeowner model (Iron Eagle) that should be more of an apples-to-apples comparison to the makes/models you mention.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have not asked about demos but will. Asfar as a comercial unit I have not seen even a used comercial in the price range I have listed above even used machines tend to bring > $6000 in this area for some reason.

Anyone else have a real preference between the machines listed above or will I just have to wing it.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
There have been some issues with the 26 hp briggs els engines so I would be a little wary of mowers with those engines. I'm not saying the mower brand isn't good, just saying that i've read quite a few threads about mowers with these engines having engine problems with low hours. I also think that, while the 19 hp Kaw. is adequate, i would want a few more hp if possible. I know that you mentioned particular brands that you were considering but have you checked into the EverRide Hornet model, if you can find them, they have some great prices and are a good value for the money. Also, the lower end Bad Boy mowers are probably as good a value for the money as the other mowers that you mentioned.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I don't have a Bad Boy dealer, but they were on my short list. I probably would have been happy with the ZT26-6000, but without the ability to butt-test one (even TSC stores weren't carrying them then), I passed.

I'm sure 'bota makes some nice stuff, but both the "local" dealers in my area are, to put it PC, jerks.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
The hustler with the 19 kaw has plenty of power. Stay away from the birgs. Kaw is a verry strong engine.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Thanks for the input.

I ended up buying the Hustler. Mowed 80% of the lawn today in 1.5 hrs on the meter. I think I made the right decision.:):cool2:
Congrats on the new mower. Hope it's everything you expected.

Helpful hint: Try not to grin too much while mowing...The wife will realize you're not really "working", and you'll get lots of bugs in your teeth.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.