Ztrak 960M vs Cheetah

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Elite Lawn Pros, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Elite Lawn Pros

Elite Lawn Pros LawnSite Member

Hello,

First I'd like to say I know there is a lot of threads somewhat comparing models listed but Id like some insight on these models specific.. I will say that I currently run Exmark Lazer Z 60" (2013 model) and really don't have a complainant except I wish it had a little more power (23.5 Kol.)

So in the near future (6 months or so) I'm looking to purchase a new mower. I have great choices where I live because Exmark, toro, farris, John deere, Scag, Hustler and Kubota are all with in 30 minutes of me.

I think I've narrowed it down to two models (three engines) but kinda stuck on which one to get. Until now I really haven't done commercial and come next spring I'm going full steam ahead with it. I'm also going to purchase a bagger system with it. I've spoken with several people because I was going to get a 52'' for back yards BUT something was brought to light. If the back yard is a single gate (4ft) then I wouldn't be able to fit even if I had a 52" so why not go with the 60 or 61'' since its about the same price. I polled my neighbor hood and out of about 300 houses 3-4 said they only had a single gate. So after doing some checking here's what I've been quoted over the phone:

John Deere 60'' MSRP $12,219.00/ Sale $11,350 with:
    31hp Kaw. Carb
    Full suspension seat $788.59
    Twill rear wheels $660.00
    Out the door price with $400.00 discount=$10,950.00

Bagger Quick attach- 14 bushel dump from seat $3,500

Total=$14,450

Scag 61'' Cheetah
    31hp Kaw.
    Out the door $10,500

With Briggs BB EFI 37hp
    Out the door $11,100

Bagger 12 Bushel (3 fabric bags) $2,799.00
    Bagger 16 Bushel clam shell $ 2,999.00

If I go scag I'd probably go with the vanguard and clam shell bagger because I'd rather have to much engine than not enough.
    Total=$14,100

I'm sure if I took the break down to John deere they would meet that scag price BUT the scag is with the 37hp EFI Vanguard.

Now the point of the post list some pros and cons maybe between the two. I'm 6'3ish and 260ish and I've read most taller people don't like the plat form on the cheetah. Scag is not big in Arkansas (4 Dealers across the state) but of course being the south John deere is HUGE. I don't want to buy a mower because all a person has had/knows is John deere or any other brand.

On the dealer support side I think they would be about the same BUT in the same sentence I'd say John deere is probably a little better by lloking at online reviews. The scag dealer is also a Lawn care company that runs 6 crews so most of their reviews are about their mowing services.

Sorry for the long post thanks in advance!!

Mownmachine144 likes this.
  2. Mownmachine144

Mownmachine144 LawnSite Senior Member

The Kawi 31hp engine is good. Know a guy that got one last year. He loves it.
    I myself don't know to much about Briggs vanguard. I've only ran there small push mower engines. I haven't had any major problems with them just minor stuff like cracks in the air filter and air box. But I can't complain to much about it because with out it I wouldn't be where I am now.
    I do know kawi engines are good commercial engines. Got a 15.5 on my gravely. It's got really good performance, has just enough power I need.

Elite Lawn Pros likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Elite Lawn Pros

True. I quoted the kaw. Instead of the Koh. Also because Koh. were small engines on those models but the Koh. we’re also EFI

4. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i'd get the deere. i own a deere and a cheetah.

5. OP
    OP
    Elite Lawn Pros

How come the Deere over the cheetah?

6. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

easier maintenance

7. Mumblingboutmowers

Mumblingboutmowers LawnSite Senior Member

Is a 60 or 61 better than a 52? The answer is it depends on the yards you will be mowing. I am reluctant to go over a 52 due to the terrain of the majority of my yards. A 61 would do lots of gouging and create a lot of extra trimming on most of my yards. If the majority of my yards were flat and smooth with no tight places then I would by happy to get a 61. I noticed a big difference going from a 48 to a 52 in terms of gouging or trying to mow the dips and crevices. Bigger is not always better, although in many cases it is.

I love my scag, but if you only have 4 dealers in your state and if most people are Deere fans then I would go with the Deere in case of having a bad dealer or falling out with them over service issues and also for resale value if there are more deere fans in your area.

8. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

the deere mowers are 54" or 60". i have a 54" deere. my scag cheetah is a 61". honestly the difference in deck size doesn't even matter until you get up to mowing yards larger than 1 acre. on the typical neighborhood yard you can mow it just as fast with the 54" deck as you can with the 61" deck.

9. OP
    OP
    Elite Lawn Pros

Yea the only 4 dealers is what kinda turns me off. The next closet one is an hour from me. I do like that the Deere has a “No down” program so they lend you one while yours is in the shop. Also they are well established to.

The yards here flat for the most part. Most people run a 54” and 61” if running two. Then you have a few that have 36” for small gates. I think I’m going to go with the Deere.

weeze and Mumblingboutmowers like this.