Ztrak 970R 72" 7 Iron Pro Blade recommendation

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RVTECH, Mar 13, 2019.

1. RVTECH

RVTECH LawnSite Member

Mowing 5 acres with a 2014 Z970R 72" 7 Iron Pro. Central Ohio Blue Grass. Last season was extremely wet. Seems like this season may be the same. At least starting out. Never caught up last season, leaving grass at 6" + with record rainfall, wet fall season, & wet winter season. Using original blades and chute. Wondering if any other blades would be helpful for getting through extremely high, wet grass. Any suggestions appreciated.

2. boostn

boostn LawnSite Member

I run G6 gatorblades on everything. Especially on the 7 iron pro deck because the factory blades throw super long clippings, so the gators help chop everything up finer.

3. OP
    OP
    RVTECH

RVTECH LawnSite Member

Thx, I'll take a look at those. I agree with super long clippings...

4. CGros31

CGros31 LawnSite Senior Member

I find that with wet grass the OEM blades are the best bet. They shoot and spread out the wet clippings pretty well. On drier grass, the Gators work very well. I've used Gators and OEM blades, but I personally prefer the OEM blades. Everyone's opinions and needs are different however.

Ridin' Green likes this.
  5. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I live in the north, so take that into account, but IMO/IME having used about every blade you can under JD decks, the G5/6 blades do not make the clippings that much shorter, especially if they are long to begin with. They do make them a little shorter, but it isn't by a large amount. I use G5 blades a lot because they are lighter, and spin up faster, and have a slightly taller sail than the G6 blades do.

Scottdubya83 likes this.
  6. whammer33024

whammer33024 LawnSite Senior Member

i actually went back to the stock blades during the mowing season. i will throw on the g5's during leaf season, but i prefer the overall cut from the stock blades

Ridin' Green likes this.
  7. Scottdubya83

Scottdubya83 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Central, LA

I’m curious of the weight difference between g5’s & g6’s.
    I like the g5’s Also. I have ordered multiple sets from different places over last 2 years. The other night I was sharpening a bunch of them and noticed One didn’t stack well with the others. Turns out, it was a g6. So I look at the others. Turns out, 4 of the 12 I have are g6. I have no idea how that happened. Always bought in sets of 3 and always ordered g5’s

8. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I would have to get out my postage scale and weigh the G5's, but there is a definite difference. I have weighed the G6's before and posted this pic, but will do it here for ya-

100_3860.jpg

9. Scottdubya83

Scottdubya83 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Central, LA

Appreciate it! Yeah, they definitely heavier and not what I wanted. How I ended up with 4 of them is odd. I’ve been running a combo of the 2 w/o realizing it. At least now I know and have them in sets.

Ridin' Green likes this.