Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard the arguments about running ztr vrs wb's but it seems to me that owning and running two new wb's w/sulky's beats running 1 new ztr 52 inch cut? any feedback apreciated - mowjoeman

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Charlie, Thanks for the reply - no what i'm saying is that you can buy two wb's for the same money you would spend on One Brand New say exmark 52 inch cut ztr? Only have two wb's with sulkys - right or wrong brand new of coarse? Thanks Joe

·
Registered
10,802 Posts
In florida you have berms, In Connecticut we have hills. We also have large yards and smaller front yards. We have to be able to cut the hills and do the larger open areas as well so we need the two.
John

Tire Wheel Plant Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey thanks john for the reply - i wish i new what a berm was though? i don't have a any commercial work to speak of yet and most of my residentials acc't are 1/4 acre's or less with a few a little a larger. what i wanted to know was is it wise to buy to wb's because of the price instead of buying one ztr, i could buy 2 wb's for the money i spend on the one ztr correct?i no i would trading off something there likecomfort for one , i was hoping to hear fromthe pro's who prehaps did the same thing and what was their spin on this? i don't plan to stay small very long and will be making more puchases as the business dictates? Thanks - Joe - Jolin Lawns plus

·
Registered
10,802 Posts
Originally posted by mowjoeman
Hey thanks john for the reply - i wish i new what a berm was though? i don't have a any commercial work to speak of yet and most of my residentials acc't are 1/4 acre's or less with a few a little a larger. what i wanted to know was is it wise to buy to wb's because of the price instead of buying one ztr, i could buy 2 wb's for the money i spend on the one ztr correct?i no i would trading off something there likecomfort for one , i was hoping to hear fromthe pro's who prehaps did the same thing and what was their spin on this? i don't plan to stay small very long and will be making more puchases as the business dictates? Thanks - Joe - Jolin Lawns plus
A burm is a small man made hill. You can turn a walk behind a lot faster then a ztr. Why do you want two walks? If you are alone or have a person spin trim you only can use one walk at a time. I think you keep hearing about how fast and comfortable the riders are BUT not in all areas is this true. A good walk is worth its weight in gold for what it sounds like you are going to do.
Do me a favor please try a demo a walk on the props you are going to do then demo the rider, this will tell you what you need to know. It would be faster if you had two walks with two operators then just a rider.
John

Oh get back to me when you have demoed.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey John sounds good i will do a wb demo It's been many yrs since i was on a bobcat and remembered how awesome it was, the guy let me try it for a couple of minutes long ago. No i wouldn't buy two but you could buy a couple of wb's for almost the same moneyas one ztr here in Fla. I'm going into my third season now and i think i need to get creative with the advertising or something? Good things come to those who wait ? a man once said, I bet he's still waiting? I have to find somebody who will demo them my local guy is somewhat of a stiff? i decided this past week that i will no longer do business with him. Long story - takes all kinds!But he isn't the only one around thank God! thankyou John for the good advice - Joe

·
Registered
10,802 Posts
I have to find somebody who will demo them my local guy is somewhat of a stiff? i decided this past week that i will no longer do business with him. Long story - takes all kinds!But he isn't the only one around thank God! thankyou John for the good advice - Joe [/B]
Smart move:cool:

Why dont you look at exmarks Turf Tracer 60" like i just got and have used for years:D It can do smaller props and larger ones to. You may also want to try hustlers walks, doc-pete can fill you in on those.
John

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Plant

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
My dealer told me to start with a wb and work till I was to tired or either I couldnt keep up and then consider a ztr mower. I done what he said and I think it was good advice. He said alot of his customers are lco in the city and cant use a ztr and the walk behind is the only mower for them. My opinion is start out with a walk behind and work in to a ztr

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey John - i need to get off of this 1995 proline 620 toro it has a 42 inch cut but if your familur with this model than say no more it's not a production model but it's slim line design gets you into the backyards past the standard openings. i have actually had guys stop me and give me about three already because they couldn't get their machines thru! but man is it slow! so since i really haven't figured out which way to go residential or commercial or both? i think i'll go for the comfort of the zrt and get done sooner and spend more time figureing out which direction to go in and start getting creative? i think alot of my answers are in the advertising ? but how much to invest and if it's proven so on etc. I'm not shy and have done pretty good cold canvassing with the paint business i had but went with my x-wife as did my first lco biz! oh well ! I think i have learned some really important lessons recently and i'm ready to make up for lost time! my credit is ok and my girlfriend s even better! so we're very serious and want to take this business as far as we can? i've been pretty much adapting to the elements and getting a crash coarse education on small engines and parts the basic do's and don'ts which have pretty much been common sense and the equipement i bought this time around cost me a little under ten grand and i'm pretty much even at this point. i bought another 1200 worth of equipement at the end of last season so now i know i can handle the heat and that i like the work enough so it's time to go to the next level, i'll keep you posted, Thanks for your interest and help john, any advice you have for me will be apreciated! and i hope you don't mind that i share my experiences with you as well? i'm still going to demo one of these wb but i haven't seen husler around here much i'm sure it's just an over site on my part . I always liked the exmarks from day one! have a good week - Joe

·
Registered
10,802 Posts
Hey John - i need to get off of this 1995 proline 620 toro it has a 42 inch cut but if your familur with this model than say no more it's not a production model but it's slim line design gets you into the backyards past the standard openings. i have actually had guys stop me and give me about three already because they couldn't get their machines thru! but man is it slow! so since i really haven't figured out which way to go residential or commercial or both? i think i'll go for the comfort of the zrt and get done sooner and spend more time figureing out which direction to go in and start getting creative? i think alot of my answers are in the advertising ? but how much to invest and if it's proven so on etc. I'm not shy and have done pretty good cold canvassing with the paint business i had but went with my x-wife as did my first lco biz! oh well ! I think i have learned some really important lessons recently and i'm ready to make up for lost time! my credit is ok and my girlfriend s even better! so we're very serious and want to take this business as far as we can? i've been pretty much adapting to the elements and getting a crash coarse education on small engines and parts the basic do's and don'ts which have pretty much been common sense and the equipement i bought this time around cost me a little under ten grand and i'm pretty much even at this point. i bought another 1200 worth of equipement at the end of last season so now i know i can handle the heat and that i like the work enough so it's time to go to the next level, i'll keep you posted, Thanks for your interest and help john, any advice you have for me will be apreciated! and i hope you don't mind that i share my experiences with you as well? i'm still going to demo one of these wb but i haven't seen husler around here much i'm sure it's just an over site on my part . I always liked the exmarks from day one! have a good week - Joe
Good luck!!
See if you can try a 60" Turf tracer like i just got this year. Hay do me a faver, try a rider and see if you tear the grass in turns??
John

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
John - i have torn the grass up when i first started with the toro thats a ztr but it's a real gut buster of a ride and you can't zip along like you can on the newer models! it's just a matter of getting use to the machine that your running after a while you shouldn't be tearing up the grass. the 60" is a nice size cut, and i would like to demo it but i have to find the right guy who demo's them? i have tried a wb years ago up in N.Y. where i'm from originally long Island, smithtown just across the sound from you, but about 20 some odd yrs on the south sure of Long Island massapequa? ever hear of these places? well i have tried a bobcat wb and i thought they were awesome then! and i can pick up the tracer for a few grand! financed a little more or should i say alot more! with interest? but it could be worse i guess? take care john - joe

·
Registered
10,802 Posts
John - i have torn the grass up when i first started with the toro thats a ztr but it's a real gut buster of a ride and you can't zip along like you can on the newer models! it's just a matter of getting use to the machine that your running after a while you shouldn't be tearing up the grass. the 60" is a nice size cut, and i would like to demo it but i have to find the right guy who demo's them? i have tried a wb years ago up in N.Y. where i'm from originally long Island, smithtown just across the sound from you, but about 20 some odd yrs on the south sure of Long Island massapequa? ever hear of these places? well i have tried a bobcat wb and i thought they were awesome then! and i can pick up the tracer for a few grand! financed a little more or should i say alot more! with interest? but it could be worse i guess? take care john - joe
Joe
If you turn a rider the proper way it takes a long time compared to a walk. If you have smaller props you will turn alot, thus alot more time on the rider then the walk.
John

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i hear you john, but you would think that the wb is longer there for you couldn't turn as easier these are the pro's and con's i need to find out when i demo as you suggested. you stand behind on your tracer or sit on the sulky? am i getting this correct? the guys i see on these wb's are usually doing big props and they're standing up on what t think they called a jungle board? But with my legs and back i would like to maybe be able to switch on and off you no what i mean sit sometmes and stand on the jungle board sometimes? is this a common practice with wb's? you know the type of machine i have right? or you don't really no to much about them? it's a toro proline 620 z it's a 1995 and it's slow but it's awesome for the fact that you can get it into backyards and small areas! i wish that they were still making these type commercial riders i would deffinitley buy another if it was faster of coarse because we're hoping to be cutting in a prodution mode one day soon here? and perhaps a wb as well ? there isn't any doubt that i should buy one but when and if i can put it to good use right now your right, i do have a bunch of 60x 100 lots some a little bigger some smaller but it takes me way to long to bang them out with this toro rider i have now? so the question remains what to do which do i buy? and when will i be cutting more than 20 acc't and what if any will these property's require? well i'm going to make the right decision or take the plunge ? but i will have a new machine! you see the delemma . I want to get done as fast as possible so i can either go to work doing what ever i have to in order to pay the bills and eventually have enought accounts that i won't have to worry about multi tasking, sheetrock, painting, power washing , tree work! i kind of like doing different things but i started a lco and thought by the third season i would have the acct's and thats all i'd be doing is cutting grass for the most part ? our winters aren't as bad as yours and we're cutting up to Dec and sometimes right back out again in March which was the case this season! off to a good start this year with the normal busy season still a few weeks off! talk to you soon , the kids are on spring break and i'm playing taxi driver again. - Joe

·
Registered
10,802 Posts
i hear you john, but you would think that the wb is longer there for you couldn't turn as easier these are the pro's and con's i need to find out when i demo as you suggested. you stand behind on your tracer or sit on the sulky? am i getting this correct? the guys i see on these wb's are usually doing big props and they're standing up on what t think they called a jungle board? But with my legs and back i would like to maybe be able to switch on and off you no what i mean sit sometmes and stand on the jungle board sometimes? is this a common practice with wb's? you know the type of machine i have right? or you don't really no to much about them? it's a toro proline 620 z it's a 1995 and it's slow but it's awesome for the fact that you can get it into backyards and small areas! i wish that they were still making these type commercial riders i would deffinitley buy another if it was faster of coarse because we're hoping to be cutting in a prodution mode one day soon here? and perhaps a wb as well ? there isn't any doubt that i should buy one but when and if i can put it to good use right now your right, i do have a bunch of 60x 100 lots some a little bigger some smaller but it takes me way to long to bang them out with this toro rider i have now? so the question remains what to do which do i buy? and when will i be cutting more than 20 acc't and what if any will these property's require? well i'm going to make the right decision or take the plunge ? but i will have a new machine! you see the delemma . I want to get done as fast as possible so i can either go to work doing what ever i have to in order to pay the bills and eventually have enought accounts that i won't have to worry about multi tasking, sheetrock, painting, power washing , tree work! i kind of like doing different things but i started a lco and thought by the third season i would have the acct's and thats all i'd be doing is cutting grass for the most part ? our winters aren't as bad as yours and we're cutting up to Dec and sometimes right back out again in March which was the case this season! off to a good start this year with the normal busy season still a few weeks off! talk to you soon , the kids are on spring break and i'm playing taxi driver again. - Joe
Go for the rider it whats on your mind. But i wish you all the good luck in the world!!!!
I'm having phone line problems so if i dont get back soon its the reason.
John

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah john it seems that way but thats because of the toro i'm on now is really a good machine to have ! but it's just not a production type machine? and it's not like i have to worry about that right now even. but in the event i happen to get a few more big acct's i want to be ready for it by having done the demo's and the home work you no? if only they continued these models and made them faster you know beefed them up! i mean it's a slimmer looking model not like the riders you see now, and the deck is a 42 inch! thats a little small if your doing alot of props i understand, but i just might have to go with the wb's? if thats whats best i will deffintley demo the model your talking about the tracer 60 inch? but you never answered me about the sulky can you sit down if you wanted too ? get back to me about the attachments for the tracer you probably stand up right? but when you start getting up towards 50 like me! 47 your going to want to be able to sit down to go the extra mile sometimes atleast i think you will but maybe your one of these health freaks in really good shape and if thats the case God Bless! i played and worked hard my entire life brought up in a strict German house hold where the work ethic was tough! well you know if you've been around that sort of element? you might even be one of these people chances are if your in this business your deffinitley not afraid of work and have probably worked hard your entire life? but i don't necessarily belive that old time belief anymore, but i do believe that early to bed early to rise makes you healthy wealthy and wise there happens to be some truth to that. But you want to be careful when your raising your own kids now because you want to raise tham up to be good providers but i wouldn't ever suggest to them to do what i did! hell know! but i do like this business and want to take it higher now and i'm certain that at some point i will be buying a wb ? i'm having some health issues out of nowhere now and have to take a break from all the happy sh-- but i hope to be up and running never the less inspite of the drugs i'm going to be on? Bummer but thats life ay? ok talk to you john hope you get that phne problem fixed? - joe

·
Registered
10,802 Posts
Yeah john it seems that way but thats because of the toro i'm on now is really a good machine to have ! but it's just not a production type machine? and it's not like i have to worry about that right now even. but in the event i happen to get a few more big acct's i want to be ready for it by having done the demo's and the home work you no? if only they continued these models and made them faster you know beefed them up! i mean it's a slimmer looking model not like the riders you see now, and the deck is a 42 inch! thats a little small if your doing alot of props i understand, but i just might have to go with the wb's? if thats whats best i will deffintley demo the model your talking about the tracer 60 inch? but you never answered me about the sulky can you sit down if you wanted too ? get back to me about the attachments for the tracer you probably stand up right? but when you start getting up towards 50 like me! 47 your going to want to be able to sit down to go the extra mile sometimes atleast i think you will but maybe your one of these health freaks in really good shape and if thats the case God Bless! i played and worked hard my entire life brought up in a strict German house hold where the work ethic was tough! well you know if you've been around that sort of element? you might even be one of these people chances are if your in this business your deffinitley not afraid of work and have probably worked hard your entire life? but i don't necessarily belive that old time belief anymore, but i do believe that early to bed early to rise makes you healthy wealthy and wise there happens to be some truth to that. But you want to be careful when your raising your own kids now because you want to raise tham up to be good providers but i wouldn't ever suggest to them to do what i did! hell know! but i do like this business and want to take it higher now and i'm certain that at some point i will be buying a wb ? i'm having some health issues out of nowhere now and have to take a break from all the happy sh-- but i hope to be up and running never the less inspite of the drugs i'm going to be on? Bummer but thats life ay? ok talk to you john hope you get that phne problem fixed? - joe
Well heres for the healthy part LOLOLOLOLOL

On the sulky, its a jungle wheels. You can put a seat on it but its not worth it in smaller areas. If you like you can have one with the seat and one with out, you can switch.
I'm talking the newer riders are heaver and they have very aggressive tires. You might have to (K) turn and that is alot slower of a way then with the walks. So see if you can get a rider and see or time the props with both. Oh i'm going to be 43:cry: Next month and i;m back on a sulky to get healthier.
John

Water Azure Comfort Naval architecture Sky

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LOLLOL yeah i recognised that cruise line anywhere! from pictures mostly :eek: tell me briefly how your getting those pics in the threds? i have a sony high 8 that takes stills and bought all the wires and stuff just to lazy to sit down a few minutes with it i even bought pinnecle "8" but don't see where to put it in the rear of the tower? there's no slots available? and i haven't put a thing in yet? i don't no to much i'm learning though! i have to take it down to staples it's only a little over a yr old! it has everything compaq 6000 series up there! and a 7500 copaq monitor loaded i mean it! but when i went to put this studio sorftware i bought for 150.00 i didn't see anywhere to put in the back i no a little about the slots and have even put software and ethenet cards in before in the older systems i've had! but there aren't even any screws to take out?? i'll send you some pics nice here. talk to you later - Joe

·
Registered
345 Posts
if you are not personally on the mower is it still more productive for hydro walkbehinds? Also it has to take the same time if you have a 2 man crew get out and one cuts and one trims compared to both cut and then both trim? Any input would be great.

·
Registered
631 Posts
smarino21 said:
if you are not personally on the mower is it still more productive for hydro walkbehinds? Also it has to take the same time if you have a 2 man crew get out and one cuts and one trims compared to both cut and then both trim? Any input would be great.
Post is 2 years old dont think youll get much reply:confused: :hammerhead:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.