Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im a Kawasaki fan, but this also question pertains to Kohler , I see that the small and mid size ZTR's use vertical shaft engines, and then the larger units use Horizontal shaft engines. Any reason why?

Do either engine have any significant advantages, life longer life, easier maintanance, etc ?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Im a Kawasaki fan, but this also question pertains to Kohler , I see that the small and mid size ZTR's use vertical shaft engines, and then the larger units use Horizontal shaft engines. Any reason why?

Do either engine have any significant advantages, life longer life, easier maintanance, etc ?
Vertical shaft engines, pound for pound, produce less power than horizontal shaft engines.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Vertical shaft engines, pound for pound, produce less power than horizontal shaft engines.
Both Kohler and Kawasaki claim that there is no change in HP or torque between vertical and horizontal shaft engines. HP is as stated on either and must be certified by outside testing agencies before the rating can be sold as such. The CC displacement for identical HP engines is the same. The different designs are produced so that they can be utilized in different mounting applications providing clutch and pulley alignment for more compact applications. That's all! :hammerhead:

·
Registered
958 Posts
My opinion is that horizontal shaft engines last longer and have less problems overall compared to vertical shaft engines. Remember there is no substitute for horse power, the more the merrier.
Good luck with your purchase, Phil :usflag:

·
Registered
351 Posts
Vertical shaft engines have a littlemore trouble with oil getting to the valve train and draining back out. However, I'ld go with the vertical shaft just because of the belt routing with horizontal engines (on midmount Z).

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Vertical shaft engines have a littlemore trouble with oil getting to the valve train and draining back out. However, I'ld go with the vertical shaft just because of the belt routing with horizontal engines (on midmount Z).
Yes, the belt setup seemed " cleaner " on verticals.

All good points, THANKS

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I have both.
52" Snapper Pro w/21 hp kawaski has a vertical shaft
52" Exmark Lazer w/27 hp kohler has a horizontal shaft.
all i can say is that the engine case gasket has been changed 2 times on the kawi but it has over 2,600 original hours and still runs strong. The kohler has had no oil leaks but has been in the shop for a lot of engine related issues and it only has a little over 800 hrs... So i don't really know if one has more advantage then the other but they both cut good and cut at the same speed, i really don't feal any difference in power but i feel it in my wallet because the kohler eats almost a 3/8 to 1/2 more fuel per hr then the kawi...Also i feel it it easier to change belts on a vert shaft

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.