Lawn Care Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

· Registered
8,108 Posts
Fusarium patch, which I think is now called summer patch has a frog eye pattern. Don’t see that in those pics. Also, there are liquid systemic fungicides available. Once you have a positive ID, then you will now what fungicide to use.

Both dollar spot and red thread usually show up on low fertility lawns. Red thread is more of a cosmetic blemish while dollar spot has the potential to be more destructive
This is the pink snow mold version of the disease. It's very common in the pacific northwest this time of year. Pink snow mold does not require snow cover to flourish.

Please see the links I provided.

· Registered
755 Posts
Agree with walkonwater, looks like red thread. As he said try a liquid fungicide, which are contact fungicides. Granulars are systemic fungicides. Different modes of action.
With the exception of Daconil, there are no curative fungicides. He’s already run the best fungicide on the market and actually it doesn’t look “active”. I agree with @hedgehog_MI , looks like possibly dollar spot. Hit it with some N @ maybe .25 lb and see if it doesn’t grow out.

· Registered
955 Posts
With the exception of Daconil, there are no curative fungicides. He’s already run the best fungicide on the market and actually it doesn’t look “active”. I agree with @hedgehog_MI , looks like possibly dollar spot. Hit it with some N @ maybe .25 lb and see if it doesn’t grow out.
Using the true meaning of the the word cure, no fungicide will do this, according to some plant pathologists. However, several fungicides are marketed as both being preventative and curative, including Daconil.

· Registered
3,210 Posts
Unless the OP lives close to the gulf coast, the probability of this being dollar spot at this time of year is near zero.
Except that OP said he/she/they have already put down two applications of fungicide. So that tells me that if given a couple weeks between apps and the initial growth of the disease (before notice) — the disease could have originated well back close to summer or early fall.

Reactions: KerbDMK

· Registered
8,108 Posts
Except that OP said he/she/they have already put down two applications of fungicide. So that tells me that if given a couple weeks between apps and the initial growth of the disease (before notice) — the disease could have originated well back close to summer or early fall.
If that's the case, the environmental conditions that lead to the disease are probably long gone and there is nothing to do now except to repair the damage if needed.

· Registered
3,210 Posts
If that's the case, the environmental conditions that lead to the disease are probably long gone and there is nothing to do now except to repair the damage if needed.
Yes, and to your point — to take a proactive approach to the problem by treating it as others have suggested with cultural control methods, and possibly with a preventative fungicidal program, after a positive identification of the disease.

· Registered
840 Posts
All diseases/ fungus are created from moisture and certain temperatures. Humidity is a form of moisture, watering everyday for 15min is the culprit here. Probably not even watering the root zone with misting heads for 15 min. The blades being soaking wet 7 - 365 is completely unnatural. You could do repeat fungicides on that lawn but if you don’t change the watering cycle it’ll never clear up. Prob why a late summer fungus is still going on.

· Registered
8,108 Posts
I would have to say that the weather is the most significant factor and a nice green lawn. You can do everything correctly in my area and still get disease if you're not using preventative fungicides at certain times of the year. By far the biggest users of fungicides in the lawn care industry are golf courses and it's not because they are utilizing poor cultural practices.

· Super Moderator
19,398 Posts

· Registered
755 Posts
Using the true meaning of the the word cure, no fungicide will do this, according to some plant pathologists. However, several fungicides are marketed as both being preventative and curative, including Daconil.
Not to make an argument here, but , 2 of the most popular fungicides , Myclobutanil and Propiconazole both say to mix with Daconil. “Curative “ is a subjective term with fungicides.

· Registered
62 Posts
Dollar Spot, see the ones on the left that are about the size of a silver dollar, then they have begun to coalesce into larger areas on the right as the disease spreads. Red thread is similar, but I can't see any red on the blades that would distinguish it from dollar spot.

· Registered
3,009 Posts
I've tried a couple applications of Scott's Disease-X with no results. I haven't dug up a section of sod to check for grubs or whatnot.

What could it be? View attachment 531222
A disease application is not going to fix the damaged turf. What is damaged is damaged. The fungicide will stop the spread. Also checking the soil ph would help. Getting a soil test.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts